Alzabo driver support
Terrence Brannon
2005-04-12 16:51:36 UTC
Another thing: Currently Alzabo supports Pg and MySQL but how difficult
would it be to add Oracle as a new driver?

I think that would be another nice criteria for that comparison
document: a list of drivers that it can currently support.
Dave Rolsky
2005-04-12 17:23:39 UTC
Post by Terrence Brannon
Another thing: Currently Alzabo supports Pg and MySQL but how difficult
would it be to add Oracle as a new driver?
Somebody has written partial Oracle support that they use in-house. It's
not complete because I assume they don't use certain features.

For a while I've been contemplating rewriting a good chunk of the
per-RDBMS code to make much better use of the DBI features that let you
query the RDBMS about things like data types, etc. That'd make supporting
each new RDBMS much simpler.

But I haven't had lots of time for Alzabo development for a while. Part
of this is that it does pretty much everything I need for my projects, and
the other part is that I have too many projects ;)

-dave

VegGuide.Org www.BookIRead.com
Your guide to all that's veg. My book blog
Adam Kennedy
2005-04-13 00:43:03 UTC
In comparing the Postgres and Oracle backends for my POOP system, Oracle
is very close to Postgres, just with better DDL support, a very unusual
limit syntax, and different large objects.

Adam K
Dave Rolsky
2005-04-13 02:16:45 UTC
In comparing the Postgres and Oracle backends for my POOP system, Oracle is
very close to Postgres, just with better DDL support, a very unusual limit
syntax, and different large objects.
Alzabo has a bunch of stuff related to verifying that a schema is ok
(valid table & column names, data types, etc). It also has support for
reverse engineering existing schemas. This is the kind of stuff that I'd
like to delegate over to DBI as much as possible in the future.

Adrian Howard
2005-04-14 21:40:35 UTC
Post by Dave Rolsky
Post by Adam Kennedy
In comparing the Postgres and Oracle backends for my POOP system,
Oracle is very close to Postgres, just with better DDL support, a
very unusual limit syntax, and different large objects.
Alzabo has a bunch of stuff related to verifying that a schema is ok
(valid table & column names, data types, etc). It also has support
for reverse engineering existing schemas. This is the kind of stuff
that I'd like to delegate over to DBI as much as possible in the
future.
Could you use bits of SQLFairy? I seem to recall that had reasonable
Oracle support for getting at schema info.

Adrian
Dave Rolsky
2005-04-15 19:16:50 UTC
Post by Adrian Howard
Could you use bits of SQLFairy? I seem to recall that had reasonable
Oracle support for getting at schema info.
Yeah, I've looked at that in the past and vaguely recall thinking I could
use some of the code.